Expiry date: Friday 15 December 2023 at 12:00
Salary: £11.02 per hour
Service: Broadmeadows Estate (Hansel Supported Living Service)
Hours: Various hours available (full time and part time) (*Female Only)
Location: Hansel, Broadmeadows, Symington, Ayrshire, KA1 5PU
A driving licence is essential for this post.
We provide supports to a number of people living in their own homes within the Hansel Broadmeadows Estate in Symington. We have both single and shared tenancies. People sharing a house generally have shared support but will each have individual 1:1 supports throughout the week to allow them do the activities they enjoy. There are good public transport links from Hansel but some people have their own cars so a driving license is essential for some services.
There are also two large bungalows situated within the Hansel Estate. One is home to 3 young adults who require continuous care, provided on a 1:1 basis throughout the day. The other is a purpose built, modern bungalow, with a full track and hoist system throughout. This is home to 4 young adults, who are all wheelchair users, who require higher levels of care. They are all supported with every aspect of their daily living. These are busy, vibrant and fun houses and you need to be creative and adaptable to ensure everyone is included and able to live their best lives. You will be working as part of a team with other support workers in the house but you will be focused on one specific customer each day. All of these young people need to use private transport so must be able to drive to provide the support they need.
Although all of these services are based within the Hansel estate, you will support people to be part of their wider community - to access local services and shops as well as attend classes, volunteer and be involved in a whole range of activities such as, swimming, bowling, playing football and going to the cinema. This is a very sociable group who love getting out and going on trips and outings, going to the theatre, to parties and football matches. People are also supported with all aspects of maintaining their homes, shopping, cooking, managing their money, taking care of their health and building relationships.
Most roles involve working with individuals on a 1:1 basis but whichever service successful candidates join, you will be part of a small team and will regularly support the same people. You will build relationships and get to know the people you support well. You will be supported by your service Coordinator and will meet up regularly with other people in your team.
Our rotas are created around the individual needs of the people we support. This means we have a range of shift patterns available including 12 hour shifts, waking night shifts, sleep-overs, and 8 hour shifts. We offer full time or part time working.
Experience in delivering formal social care supports or personal caring experience is desirable but not essential.
Essential criteria for the post include:
- Candidates must be 18 years old or over for insurance purposes
- Excellent people skills
- Flexibility to work a needs-led rota
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Good team working, problem solving and communication skills
- The ability to support people in a person-centred way to offer choice and promote inclusion.
- An enthusiastic attitude to developing skills in Social Care
- The ability to accept peoples’ differences and treat everyone as equals
- The ability to attain registration with regulatory bodies
- Basic IT skills
When you join our HSLS team you will also;
- Receive full induction training, shadowing experienced fellow workers and access to additional training you may need to enable you to confidently support individuals.
- Have an opportunity to gain a relevant SVQ qualification in Health and Social Care.
- Access to 24-hour on call management support when you need it.
- Work various shift patterns with at least one weekend off in every three.
- Receive pay for your travel time and travel expenses if travelling between supports.
- Become involved in an inclusive & vibrant ‘Tenants Aloud’ group, which gives the people we support the opportunity to meet regularly and have a say in how our services are delivered. Tenant’s Aloud also offers an annual calendar of social events, parties, holidays, day trips; promoting friendships and relationships to be developed and maintained though shared interest and experiences.
We carefully match all team members to particular individuals we support depending on their skills, experience, knowledge, availability and interests.
These posts are considered to be Regulated Work with Adults as specified in the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) (PVG) Act 2007. Accordingly, the preferred candidate will be required to become a member of the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme Record Update if already a Scheme member prior to any formal offer of employment being made.
Hansel is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all who believe they fit the essential requirements for the job.
*Qualifies under the Equality Act 2010
Document downloads:Rec Roleprofile 20230802 Supportworker
Sorry this vacancy has now expired